Porting Squeak to Java VM

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Tue Nov 12 16:01:27 UTC 2002

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> Derek Brans <brans at nerdonawire.com> wrote:
> > Any thought been given to this?
> > Would that give us "Squeak in a web-browser" without a plug-in, among
> > other things?
>
> This one pops up from time to time but essentially it boils down to that
> we actually have nothing substantial to gain from such a port.

There was such a port: Talks2.

Seemed fun, but more of a curio than a system you'd really want to use.

Bistro is a more intereing alternative if one is wanting to port
(non-gui/multimedia) code (eh, why bother then :)).

Finally, I'm not sure how compelling the in the browser thing is with or
without a plugin. It's fun, but applets have not *exactly* taken the world
by storm.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.