Testing & Veification of Packages (was RE: Image factoring)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Nov 13 06:50:02 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 12 November 2002 04:52 pm, Swan, Dean wrote:

> I really like the direction that the image factoring/modularization
> work is currently going (as in SM and DVS), but I also really like
> that an "official release" image of Squeak like 3.2-4956 has been
> fairly well excercised as a whole, and can be trusted as fairly
> stable and reliable "right-out-of-the-box".
>
> I'm not too excited about the idea of having to take an "official
> release" of the Squeak kernel and add packages in my own unique
> combination to get the image I want then have to spend lots of time
> verifying my newly constructed image.

I think that (as Michael said) we can have the best of both worlds if
we have "release testing" and provide different flavors of
pre-packaged, pre-tested images (or scripts that will construct them
easily).

That said, I rather like the new CPANPlus functionality that the Perl
community has: if you load a module from CPAN that has unit tests,
the tests are run. If the tests fail, CPANPlus asks if you want to
send bug reports to CPAN (or somewhere; I'm not sure where they go).
If you agree, the bug reports are both stored on a server, available
via a web interface, and sent via email to the maintainer.

As a CPAN author, these reports have been helpful from time to time in
detecting problems common to a particular configuration.

I'd like to see this (optional) ability for those packages that
provide tests. And I'd encourage package maintainers/authors to
actually write tests (not that I have any for my packages, of
course...)

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com