Old Mac OS and relative pathnames?

Masato Sumi sumi at seagreen.ocn.ne.jp
Wed Nov 13 10:47:59 UTC 2002

Hi, Konz-san

on 11/13/02 15:37, ned at bike-nomad.com wrote:

> However, when I tried the example again:
>
> (FileDirectory on: ':xxx:yyy:zzz') assureExistence.
>
> Squeak died with "an error of type 2". I assume that means that
> there's a problem somewhere; the Mac won't tell me what "an error of
> type 2" actually is.
>
> What's going on here?

I think you need not to touch FileDirectory class >> #on: , but you might
change the argument of the message.

According to DosFileDirectory >> #setPathName: , the comment of the method
says "relative directories aren't supported on all platforms".  So, you will
get the error not only Mac but also Win, when you do-it like this,

(FileDirectory on: '\xxx\yyy\zzz') assureExistence

Of course, you could get successfully the result you wish when you do-it
like this,

(FileDirectory on: 'C:\xxx\yyy\zzz') assureExistence

Therefore, if you do-it this on your Mac,

(FileDirectory on: 'Macintosh HD:xxx:yyy:zzz') assureExistence

you could get the result you wish even on the Mac Squeak, too.

Thanks.
--
Masato Sumi