Testing & Verification of Packages (was RE: Image factoring)

Swan, Dean Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Wed Nov 13 22:57:30 UTC 2002

Ned, Goran, Michael,

	Thanks for all of your replies.  I'm happy that there
 will still be pre-assembled release images, while the
"do-it-yourself"-ers among us will also be accommodated.

				Thanks again.

					-Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Rueger [mailto:m.rueger at acm.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 9:28 PM
To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Subject: Re: Testing & Verification of Packages (was RE: Image
factoring)

Swan, Dean wrote:
> For these reasons and probably a bunch of others I haven't listed,
> automated tests aren't always practical, or even if the tests are
> written, the tests may not be appropriate for everybody who wants to
> use the package to run.

I agree. They still provide some basic coverage of core functionality
testing for those who are interested in it.

> I'm not too excited about the idea of having to take an "official
> release" of the Squeak kernel and add packages in my own unique
> combination to get the image I want then have to spend lots of time
> verifying my newly constructed image.

Again, I agree. We don't want the RPM hell of edit config file,
configure, download new/old GCC, compile, run, start over...

At the Squeak BoF the concept of distributions was discussed. Based on
the kernel image and available packages there could (and will) be ready
to use kitchen sink, Comanche, squeakland etc images. It will be in the
responsibility of the distribution maintainers to exercise tests (SUnit
and/or otherwise) to ensure a working image.

Michael