Welcome Guides

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Nov 14 19:57:30 UTC 2002

Hi all

I wish a lot of good energy to the Guides.
Two small suggestions:

- I remember when Anthony produced the first version of
his BC. He asked people to help him to find bugs and in ***no*** time
he got
a lot of excellent tests that caught a lot of vicious bugs.
This was making me think: even if I do not know how to implement a
complex
stuff like BC, I'm still smart enough to write good tests.

You see where I want to go: it would be good that the Guides set the
target
for one system for a given period of time and ask tests for it. This
could be
one way to get good test suites. I would like in the future (not now)
the Guides to use the community in that kind of way.

- It would be good to have a list of beasts that should be cleaned.
For example there are years now that roel (he is expert in AST walking
in oop,
in logic progr), is feed up that the bad relationship between the
parser and the compiler.
So if the Guides would ask for a cleaning of the AST and compiler
interfaces I'm sure
they could get competent people to sign for a task. We could have even
cleaning parties.

My point is that there is a lot of excellent people around that were
not contributing
because contributing cost time and this was frustrating to see that
efforts were not
used (which I understand also because I saw how the harvesting process
was a daunting
task so I'm not complaining against anything just stating a simple
fact).

So to summarize, I think that the idea of responsibility is important,
but if the guides
would ask for some group to organize on specific targets, this would be
a way to
have serious cleaning.

Stef

PS: Just an impression for SM and other tools. This is great to see you
running like hell. Continue!!! Take breath from time to time ;)
I imagine that lot of people can be afraid by the number of cs
exchanged ;).
This is great to see all this energy emerging.

I have the impression to see Squeak really becoming open-source.
Even if we should pay attention that SqC made a extremely good job at
keeping
the system running and somehow coherent. So I would really like to see
these
experts guys continuing to keeping the boot floating.

Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch)
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/