Testing & Veification of Packages (was RE: Image factoring)

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Thu Nov 14 20:34:45 UTC 2002

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
[snip]
> And if I have a working image configuration (a given set of package
> releases and their load order which will produce the exact same image
> every time) that I know is OK then I would also like to build that image
> without the tests in it.

Based on such a premise the Guides could possibly recruit some
volunteers who can download, install, run tests on SM packages as they
become available. Just so that we can have requisite data for making
such determinations. Even I, at my current level of Squeakability can
participate on something like that.

I could maintain a certain set of minimal images/configurations from
which I could go thru the SM steps and provide my results.

Can I use SM from a local repository?
For example I have all my home computers on a LAN. It would be nice if I
could configure my Squeaks to check local repository for said package
and if not then proceed to the original location.

This could help reduce bandwidth consumption for those of us who have
multiple computers and multiple Squeaks. Hopefully that would become
normative in the future. As Squeak apps start to proliferate this will
become a more common situation. It may not be too uncommon now with the
group of users on this list.

This would also help enable SMable CD distributions. The Squeak could
either begin with the local repository on the CD or check the SM on the
net to compare versions against local repository.

Just more thinkin' out loud. :)

Thanks,

Jimmie Houchin