How to submit refactorings (or: Removing PWS)

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Fri Nov 15 00:09:56 UTC 2002

Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:
>

> >My point there was that the removals should be separate in time from the
> >point where the package is made removable.
> >
> >Assuming we eventually want the image to be actually smaller, we'll need
> >to remove them in updates at some point, no? (after adequate warning,
> >and the remove can be confitional on the users not having installed the
> >package explicitly from SM, and so forth).
> >
> >But I see not rush - the important thing is to make things cleanly
> >remov*able*, as outlined.
> >
> >Right?
>

> Yes, and in fact, once the packages are clearly delineated in the image
> (ie, through PackageInfo's naming conventions) a removal script probably
> isn't even necessary - just tell DVS to unload the package (or at least
> get it to generate the removal script for you).
>
> Avi

That can't be a complete solution though.  What about the stuff that
needs to be removed from SystemDictionary for PWS, for example?  That
should be in the DVS package so it won't be removed by DVS, etc. It may
also involve changing other methods that depend on the package being
removed to be less directly coupled, or whatever... I don't think you
can count on DVS doing the complete removals from the base image.

Julian

julian at beta4.com
Beta4 Productions (http://www.beta4.com)