[Squeakfoundation][ANN][IMPORTANT] Mission statement

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Nov 15 09:02:05 UTC 2002

 <danielv at netvision.net.il> said:
>1. Splitting the squeak-dev list - since all such discussions until now
>took place there. I don't have a strong opinion, but it's something that
>should bee discussed at length, on the squeak-dev list, where the people
>affected by it currently all reside.

I think it's a separate discussion. Let's leave it for now, it muddles things
too much (IMHO, etcetera).

>2. Us Guides would like to be able to do our job. I think we need a
>medium on which we can talk, without it being used for myriad other
>discussions at the same time, and without threads being pulled to
>directions that may be important in the long term, or wider context, but
>don't get the next version out the door. We don't want to use private
>email, because that creates a disconnect we don't like. We could for
>example create yet another squeak list (squeak-guides?), and make that
>read only.

I think that's a good idea. I also think it's a good idea to 'hijack' the SqF
list for the time being (but without setting it to moderated), but when time
comes, it's probably best to setup a separate list.

(Personally, I'm still in favor of establishing a foundation (or similar
legal entity), if only to have something firm to start negotiating with
Apple on licensing and to receive donations. I see the Guides and SqF as
complementary things)

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo