Packages (was: Re: DVS Roadmap)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Nov 15 11:18:42 UTC 2002

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:

> On 15 Nov 2002, Cees de Groot wrote:
>
> > Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> said:
> > > - Remote repository support.  Right now I only use the local
> > >filesystem.  Colin's interested in doing a MySQL repository, I might
> > >also look at doing an HTTP PUT based one.  Cees, can squeakfoundation.org
> > >host a simple PUTtable repo?
> > >
> > Why not use a simple (say) XML/RPC protocol between the local and the remote
> > Squeaks? In Germany they say "wenn schon, dann schon", which I liberally
> > translate to "use Squeak everywhere if possible and feasible" ;-)
>
> Yes, could do.  The other advantage there being that it'd be easy to
> include a nice Seaside UI on the repository side.

Two comments:

-Make sure it is simple. If I were doing it I would simply use Comanche
and HTTP posts on the server side *to begin with*. Then whatever cool
acronyms you can come up with later are of course cool to have as
extras. IMHO.

-Make sure you can setup a server that is Squeak-only. If I run Win32
for example, I would like to be able to set one up without having to
install Apache.

regards, Göran