iso8859-1

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri Nov 15 01:26:05 UTC 2002

  Hello,

> >Can you give an example of a URL where you see this problem?
> A beautiful example is the page in the file example.zip.
> The encoding is windows-1252 and the page contains the characters
> LATIN SMALL LETTER ETH and LATIN SMALL LETTER THORN,
> which are not encoded in the Mac encoding that we use. The character
> LATIN SMALL LIGATURE AE , which is also used in that example,
>  is encoded in our fonts and should be displayed by Scamper.
> I downloaded that example some time ago from
> http://www.georgetown.edu/cball/oe/paternoster-oe.html
> and during the download (on a windows system) the encoding was changed
> to windows-1252. The page itself is encoded in ASCII - it does not use
> a character-encoding header and it does not use characters with encodings
> greater than 7F.

  I bit-editted the New York fonts about three years ago and made
iso-8859-1 compatible glyphs and encoding of fonts for Squeak.

> >I believe that Scamper is doing some translation (browse callers of
> >isoToSqueak) though it is (I think) ignoring the Character-Encoding
> >headers.
> Yes, Squeak ignores the Character-Encoding headers.
> The method isoToSqueak translates the encoding, but for some reason the
> untranslated string is displayed. The attached change set is an attempt to
> impprove this, but I am not convinced that it is a reliable solution. Can
> you
> please tell me whether it meets your needs ?
>
> Programming an encoding-aware internet browser is a major project.
> A good browser supports more than 20 encodings, including encodings
> for scripts like chinese, hebrew and arabic. Squeak is currently not
> prepared to  display chinese ideograms. Squeak is also not prepared to
> display text that runs from right to left.

  We, (mainly Abe-san) did a version of Scamper which is
encoding-aware.

> To display at least text written from left to right with characters of
> the latin, greek and cyrillic alphabets, is is necessary to do more or
> less this:

  The version of m17n Squeak I'm working on has a flag that say l2r or
r2l.  But it is not used, yet:-)

> A year ago, I began do implement something like that, but it is
> still not ready. Drawing 652 glyphs in four or five sizes and two
> styles (serif and san-serif) is an enormous amount of work.
> An then - I would like to have more than WGL4. It would be
> nice to have most of the glyphs of the first 24 Unicode pages.

  What do you mean by "first 24 Unicode pages?"

> Tell me, is there any interest that kind of support for encodings?

  Yes, I have.

-- Yoshiki