The Loop, Network rewrites and more

Craig Latta craig.latta at netjam.org
Fri Nov 15 14:09:56 UTC 2002

Hi Daniel--

	There's also some URL stuff in Flow 2a, probably complimentary. I've
got some unreleased work on client/server protocol implementations (POP,
HTTP, etc.), but not a whole lot.

> About the general Network stuff, I think you should talk to Craig
> (since your work probably interacts somehow with Flow), and propose
> two, or preferably one, action plan on what sockets should look like
> in 3.4/3.5, and how we get there without messing all the clients up.
> The more of the discussion happen on squeak-dev, the better.

	In general, it seems that Michael's recent networking work fills in
some current gaps in Flow (client/server protocol implementations).
While I'd prefer that we go all the way and overhaul the primitive
interface (see the relevant bits of
http://netjam.org/flow/advocacy.html), I think that integrating this new
stuff would be quite straightforward. I spoke with Michael a bit at
OOPSLA, and this seemed to be his opinion as well. ('Sorry, I don't mean
to refer to Michael in the third person... Hi Michael! :)

	So, I'm eager to help integrate...

-C

p.s.

> Interesting. Let's give this a try - "Ok, I propose in 3.4 [omitted]
> are deposited in my [omitted]" ;-)

	Ha! That made my mail server tag your message as sp*m. :)

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist
craig at netjam.org