Looking for network rewrite testers

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Fri Nov 15 17:14:26 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I'm looking for testers for my network rewrite. I just realized, that I
didn't take into account some changes to e.g. Celeste that weren't in
the image I started with and I'm afraid there will be more glitches like
that. And bugs of course.

It would be great if people could enhance the SUnit suites I started,
especially adding tests for e.g. Celeste. At least as soon as I fixed
those aforementioned glitches.

danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:

> About the general Network stuff, I think you should talk to Craig (since
> your work probably interacts somehow with Flow), and propose two, or
> preferably one, action plan on what sockets should look like in 3.4/3.5,
> and how we get there without messing all the clients up. The more of the
> discussion happen on squeak-dev, the better.

I tried to decouple Socket and client implementation by basing the
clients on SocketStream. It should be fairly easy to replace the current
Socket implementation with something different (eg. like Flow :-) )
without even touching the rest of the system.
Craig (Hi Craig :-) ) already responsed in a different mail and we will
both work on making the two apporaches cooperate.
Trying not to step on anybodies toes here but the decision has still to
be made if and which parts of flow or my stuff will finally end up in
the update stream.

> Small - just posting a fix to SMTP first would make sure it gets the
> proper attention.
>
> Edible - The more you make it clear how to use your version instead of
> the existing one, the more likely someone will submit a patch to Celeste
> to use your infrastructure, the more likely some people will switch to
> using and thus testing it, the more likely it goes in the image.

The problem with the rewrite is: it's a rewrite. Patches to anything
didn't cut it anymore. I tried to make everything work with the new
code, but as stated above, I missed some things and that's also why I
need some serious testing by other people on the list.

A "How to" guide is an excellent idea (documentation? I have to look up
the meaning of this word... ;-) ).

Michael