system category cleanup in 3.4a

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Fri Nov 15 21:14:17 UTC 2002

One of the little loose ends not yet dealt with in 3.4a is
reassigning a few classes to their proper system categories.  If you
look near the bottom of the list of system categories in a browser,
you'll see the categories containing the mis-filed classes; the
errant category names all start with string "Squeak-" or
"Development-", I think.

This phenomenon arose from classes that were defined in 3.3a with the
modular organization regime in place.

A nice service would be for someone to provide an expression that we
could evaluate in the postscript of an update which would reassign
those classes to proper categories.

Here's an example:

Notice that in the spurious category "Squeak-Media-Graphics-Files" we
have one class, BMPReadWriter, that needs relocating.

We look at its superclass, ImageReadWriter, and we see that it is in
a system category called "Graphics-Files" and that all the JPEG
handling and PNG handling classes are all there as well.  So
obviously this is where BMPReadWriter needs to go.

Any volunteers?  I think only around a dozen classes need to be dealt with.

Cheers,

  -- Scott

PS:  One way to formulate the reassignment of a class to a different
category is be to issue the class definition afresh, but with the
desired category.  In practice, that's often what we all do.  This
does trigger an unnecessary recompilation of the entire class,
however.  Is there a lighter weight way, I wonder?  Or, if not,
should there be?