Packages (was: Re: DVS Roadmap)

Masashi Umezawa umejava at mars.dti.ne.jp
Sat Nov 16 07:21:35 UTC 2002

Hi,

----- Original Message -----

> The advantage is that you can easily marshall/demarshall data between
> anything that understands strings/numbers/arrays/hashes (say the basic
> Perl arsenal of data types), i.e.  it doesn't cost too much application
> code (just convert your objects to a nested structure of these primitive
> data types and let XML/RPC handle the rest), and because XML/RPC doesn't
> need all the funky XML stuff they keep inventing, a complete braindead
> XML parser (say, like the one that is included in the Python standard
> libs) can read and write the format. And the code is there (for VW,
> but I think it's easy to port if it hasn't happened already; I'll be
> happy to volunteer). With XML/RPC you'd have your write protocol, simple
> marshalling/demarshalling routines (and I'm sure you can remove most of
that
> with a little bit of metaprogramming), a quick path to a reference
> implementation with client and server in Squeak, but without cutting of
> efforts at alternative server implementations.
>
> Whatever works, is simple to implement, and relatively reliable/secure.
It's
> just a suggestion...

How about using SoapOpera?
http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~umejava/smalltalk/soapOpera/index.html

It is available now and fully tested. It contains both client and server
modules. So you don't need Apache.

I'm now running sample services in my server (CASIO FIVA216 - A5 size poor
powered mini note).
http://swikis.ddo.jp/umejava/SoapOperaServices
As you can see, it is quite simple.

Squeak to Squeak web based RPC is already implemented by SoapOpera, which is
based on SOAP 1.0.

I'm not sure why people are seeking XML/RPC.

---
[:masashi | ^umezawa]