Lloyd Zusman ljz at asfast.com
Sat Nov 16 23:57:31 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> writes:

> On Saturday 16 November 2002 02:32 pm, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
>
>> I've been using versions 3.2-5 and 3.2-6devel, and I'm trying to
>> load a new image file into an already running Squeak session.
>> However, I don't know how to do this.
>
> What're you trying to do?

To be honest, I'm not sure. :)   As I mentioned, I'm fairly new to
Smalltalk, and I'm just diving in and fooling around.  Loading a new
image file just seemed like an interesting thing to do.  But I'm now
learning that this is probably a fairly meaningless operation.

> If you're trying to move Morphs from one image to another (possibly
> with a change set tagging along), use the Project file in/out
> functionality that's easy to get to from the UI.
>
> Or you could use ImageSegments more or less directly to save selected
> objects on a file that can be loaded into another image.

Well, I think that ImageSegments are close to what I want ... or maybe
just change sets.  I still need to learn more before I can know for
sure.

In my initial fooling around with Squeak, I made a change to the
"MPEGMoviePlayerMorph" class to cause the "Open" dialog box to pop up
viewing a directory of my choice, rather than the current
WorkingDirectory.  I want to somehow save this change so that whenever I
start up Squeak, no matter what version I've installed or what image I'm
using, that I will get my changed version of that class.

I now understand better that loading a new image file into a running
Squeak session would NOT be the way to accomplish this.

> Moving source code is handled by various text fileout methods that are
> available from the UI, or you could use DVS (available from
> SqueakMap).

I'll check out DVS.

I sincerely thank you for your help.

--