[WARNING!]SqueakMap problems

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Nov 19 19:48:40 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 11:36 am, Cees de Groot wrote:
>  <goran.hultgren at bluefish.se> said:
> >You know - UUIDs is typically a thing you want to be able to
> > trust... It's sortof the whole point with them...
>
> Well, IMNSHO the UUID stuff that's currently in the image is
> broken. UUID's shouldn't be big random numbers, they should be
> *provable* universable unique. At the moment, the only *provable*
> universable unique scheme that is standardized is to have the
> machine's IP address, the process id, the current time and a
> sequence number in it.
>
> Random UUID's are just a cheap cop-out for when you cannot (or are
> too lazy to find out or too shy to ask the user) get the IP address
> and/or the process ID. They should work, because the chance of
> re-generating the same UUID twice is small, but as you have
> experienced there is no guarantee.
>
> I think that UUID generation (more and more important in a
> distributed world) should be completed with IP based UUID's (where,
> that's the drawback, some human being needs to seed the thing with
> the IP address of the box).

More commonly, isn't one or more of the MAC addresses used? It's more
likely to be unique than the IP address (i.e. we have lots of
machines at 192.168.1.1).

Plus, of course, machines don't have an IP address, interfaces do...

We should probably have a plugin that does this properly.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com