[WARNING!]SqueakMap problems

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Tue Nov 19 21:07:51 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> said:
>There is a UUIDPlugin that's not complete (under Linux, anyway).
>We could flush it out on the various platforms with platform-specific cod=
>e.

I just posted a fix which makes UUID generation on Linux mostly the same as
UUID generation with libuuid (random number seeded from /dev/urandom).

The MAC-based version doesn't really add much, because it still depends on a
large random component. IIRC, the original spec (DCE, wasn't it?) called for:
- Machine address (IP, but MAC would work as well)
- Process ID on machine
- Timestamp (secs since epoch)
- Counter (just in case you generate two UUID's in the same second).
That gives true UUID's. As soon as the biggest component is random, you're
just hoping for the best (granted, good enough for most cases) and I don't
think it really matters whether you throw in a MAC for good measure.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo