[WARNING!]SqueakMap problems

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Nov 19 21:13:52 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 01:07 pm, Cees de Groot wrote:
> That gives true UUID's. As soon as the biggest component is random,
> you're just hoping for the best (granted, good enough for most
> cases) and I don't think it really matters whether you throw in a
> MAC for good measure.

Ah, but they aren't hashed together. So particular bits represent the
MAC address, other bits represent the timestamp, etc.

So even if your random generator isn't too good, you can't possibly
generate the same UUID as any other machine (unlike a scheme that
just uses random numbers, or replaces the unique MAC address with a
non-unique IP address).

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com