DVS (thanks!) & SqueakMap thoughts

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Tue Nov 19 22:01:23 UTC 2002

For those that have not yet tried DVS, I highly recommed it.  I've found it
to be great for packaging up code and synchronizing images.

My working pattern has been to use change sets where I need to modify some
external package or the base image (I often have a change set as a pre-load
to a DVS package).  The DVS package contains only those things (classes and
extensions) that logically belong with the package.  This seems to have had
a nice effect of clearly separating those things that should get folded into
an external package of code that I depend on from my code that belongs in
its own package.

Thanks Avi!

On top of this, I've been creating little chunk files (that I call bundles)
that have a list of change sets and package files to load.  This allows me
to file-in one file to load an entire configuration of change sets and
packages.  When I get my HDD back, I can post an example.  It might be nice
to build some simple SqueakMap support for this.  People can post bundles of
packages/change sets that they've tested and know to work (or at least
load).  If a particular change set or package changes on SqueakMap, then any
"bundles" that load that change set or package could be marked invalid until
the maintainer of that bundle re-validates the bundle (or updates it).  Just
a thought.

Also, can SAR handle a change set preload and DVS package in a single file?
Sorry to ask, but I don't have a Squeak setup handy at the moment to check
this for myself.

When I release the Chango VM, the BerkeleyDB plugin, the Chango database,
the next iteration of Kats, it's probably going to consist of 15-20
different packages and probably 3-4 different bundles.  It would be nice to
make these bundles available for install directly from SqueakMap.

- Stephen