macroBenchmarks and HDD failure

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Tue Nov 19 22:01:24 UTC 2002

On Friday night I executed "Smalltalk macroBenchmarks" on a 3.2 stock image
and left it to run.  Saturday morning I see the dredded Win2k blue screen of
death.  I reboot to find that my HDD is choking and sputtering to a slow
death.

Anyone else have this problem with macroBenchmarks?  It seems that it really
crunches the hard drive in whatever it's doing.  Why?  What could crunching
the HDD tell you about Squeak's performance (other than perhaps comparing
file access speeds)?  I vote to pop up a big bold warning message when
someone attempts to run macroBenchmarks.

Anyway, my HDD is now at a lab where they are attempting to recover my life
and extorting huge fees for doing so.  I was hoping to get the Chango VM
released this week...oh well.

Once again, I've learned my lesson about making regular backups.  ;)

- Stephen