A few wish list items

Bill Schwab BILLS at ANEST4.ANEST.UFL.EDU
Wed Nov 20 00:33:18 UTC 2002

Hello all,

I'd like to advocate a few changes.  First, anything that can be
done in the way of ANSI compatibility would be helpful.  I view this
more as journey than a destination, and am not in any particular
hurry.

Second (this one is controversial, even repulsive to some), the
"hijacking" of the underscore should be fixed, IMHO.  Here is my
argument:

(1) Users wanting to shortcut _ into := should be able to have it
provided for them in the editor; it could further see that a $= has
just been backspaced out of existence and look for an adjacent $:
to go with it.  I personally don't even notice typing :=, but can see
why some might want the shortcut; but, I disagree with how deeply
it's been allowed to penetrate the sources, compiler, etc..

(2) Scamper is hurt by the translation; any file names etc.
containing underscores get mangled by it.

(3) Lots of databases (not just mine I'm discovering - don't ask<g>)
use uderscores in table and field names.  It's really nice to have
matching selectors in corresponding classes.  Maybe I did
something wrong, but when I tried the scanner patch to allow
underscores inside selectors (I could generally live with the no
leading underscore restriction), I ended up with <- in the method
names :(

(4) Sometimes text to be displayed to the user really contains an
uderscore (not just in file names, etc.) - it should be possible to
display it as such.

The third and "final" item (I'll think of more later<g>) has to do with
read streams.  Prior to structured exceptions, it made sense for
#next and #next: to answer nil vs. raising an error on exhaustion.  I
realize that Flow will eventually address this, but it seems that the
existing streams should be revamped unless it's highly problematic
to do so.

Much of my interest in Squeak is associated with a Microsoft
escape plan that I hope I will never need.  As I become able to
jump through more hoops with it, I start thinking about "how would I
port X to Squeak?" and start running into these mundane kinds of
issues.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida