DVS (thanks!) & SqueakMap thoughts

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Wed Nov 20 03:05:57 UTC 2002

Ned Konz wrote:

>> When I release the Chango VM, the BerkeleyDB plugin, the Chango
>> database, the next iteration of Kats, it's probably going to
>> consist of 15-20 different packages and probably 3-4 different
>> bundles.  It would be nice to make these bundles available for
>> install directly from SqueakMap.
>
>Should be easy to do with SAR.

Sure, but what I would like is to be able to put the various packages on
SqueakMap separately and then have "bundles" that are essentially just
scripts that load a set of packages in a specific order.  For example,
someone might want just the BerkeleyDB plugin, or Kats, but not all of the
Chango code.  Or someone might write something that uses the BerkeleyDB
plugin and AspectS and would like to put something on SqueakMap that is
easily installed, but doesn't replicate those pre-requisite packages.  By
putting everything into SARs, I'll end up with the same package replicated
in a number of places, or I'll force people to have to go out and grap each
package one by one.

A simpler example is PackageInfo and DVS...you have to manually load each
one...it would be nice to have a DVS bundle that loaded it's prequesite
packages for you.  I think having bundles (as simple chunk file scripts)
might be a simpler solution than trying to infer these things from some sort
of formalized pre-requisite mechanism.  It would also be nice if SqueakMap
would let me categorize these things separately from reqular packages.

- Stephen