Internationalization and MenuItemMorph ?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Nov 20 16:59:44 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 08:21 am, Samir Saidani wrote:

> I'm not sure that it's a good choice of implementation, but I give
> this piece of code to start a debate around menus
> internationalization (I quicly look at the implementation of etoys
> item translation, but it seems to be an exact translation : I think
> that squeak can do something smarter...).

The internationalization work that's already been done in Vocabulary
uses phrase translation, as I recall. What smarter strategy can you
think of?

> By the way, it's impossible to translate "window" by "fenêtre"
> because of the lack of "ê" (^ is bound to up arrow :-( )

Not really; Squeak has ê, I just don't remember how to type it on my
keyboard. On keyboards with a numeric keyboard, you can probably use
the Alt-144 or Alt-0144 (I don't have a numeric keyboard). Note that
Squeak does *not* use ISO8859-1 for its character encoding.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com