SM future version (was RE: DVS (thanks!) & SqueakMap thoughts)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Nov 20 18:26:51 UTC 2002

Brent Vukmer <bvukmer at blackboard.com> wrote:
> Goran --
>
> Are you planning to use something like Stephen Pair's VersionNumber
> package, to encapsulate version info?  Of course that would create a

Yes. I have already talked with Stephen about that. No point in not
doing it.
But that will be the automatic number not changeable by the registrant.
We also need a simple String so that people can still use their own
schemes for version naming.

> dependency of the SqueakMap package on another package...  :)

Well, if I do it in one big swoop then we will have support for that,
right! :-)
Nice bootstrapping there.

>  I notice that right now SMCard>>currentVersion: expects a String.   As
> we move deeper into package version
> dependencies/configurations/conflicts etc. it seems like Version objects
> of some kind might make for more informative debugging than just Strings.

Yes, but they are a complement - not a replacement. People still want to
have a nice readable label. But internally we want to have a nice number
like Stephen has implemented.

regards, Göran