globals as structure

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Nov 20 18:03:41 UTC 2002

Marcel Weiher <marcel at metaobject.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Just wanted to report that I've managed to build a new VM with the
> current VM-Maker sources and John's hack of putting VM globals into a
> structure.  This shows 80-95% faster bytecodes/s and 66% faster sends/s
> on the tinyBenchmarks.
>
> Were there any other significant changes to the VM that would explain
> this?
Is this the 'plain' mac VM or your cocoa stuff? IIRC John found that
global struct improved things by around 10% on his mac and I found it to
be worth about 35% on my Acorn. On x86 machines it appears to be
anything from neutral to bad; I have a VMMaker changeset that allows
platforms to choose which way to do things and since I sent a copy to
John some time ago it is possible you have already tried it.

tim

"Yummy," said Pooh, as he rotated Piglet slowly on the spit.