A few wish list items

Bill Schwab BILLS at ANEST4.ANEST.UFL.EDU
Wed Nov 20 23:50:35 UTC 2002

Bob,

Stef has it right in focusing on the compatibility with other
Smalltalks.  My thought is more about rats (with me one step
behind them) leaving a sinking ship (the USS Redmond comes to
mind), but Stef raises an excellent point that there are some really
nice frameworks that could be helped by some additional
compatibility.

About the folks trying to dismiss Smalltalk.  Yes I know some; in
fact I know lots of them.  They don't understand it, and are afraid of
it.  The underscore snag is the kind of thing that I would much
rather not have to explain away because it really is a problem.  It's
hard enough to defend against the truly pointless FUD.

I'm not suggesting that you should be forced to type := against
your will, but, I think it would be wise to find another way to provide
the shortcut, such that it would not taint the sources, compiler,
text editors, and WEB BROWSER<g>.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida