SM future version (was RE: DVS (thanks!) & SqueakMap thoughts)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Nov 21 09:45:05 UTC 2002

"Stephen Pair" <spair at acm.org> wrote:
> Göran wrote:
> > Notes:
> > 1. A package configuration is not a script. It is declarative. Otherwise
> > we can not use them for dependency analysis and conflict detection etc.
>
> If you design the API well enough the "load script" can be as good as an
> exclusively declarative syntax.  For example instead of being so explicit in
> the load script:
>
> SMSqueakMap default installPackageNamed: 'SSP' version: '1.0'
>
> We could write:
>
> (PackageConfiguration new:
>
> 	Comanche	5.0
> 	SSP		1.0
> 	Seaside	2.0
> )) load !

Yes, I will consider this type of design. Note though that I don't want
to restrict the load scripts much - I want them to be very flexible and
instead let the "package configurations" take the hit of being strict
and declarative and thus easily used for dependency analysis and
conflict detection.

regards, Göran