monticello

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Thu Nov 21 11:18:01 UTC 2002

Avy wrote:
> Would it be too strange to allow both clientside and serverside merges?

No, but you're not thinking about it right.  Forget client side vs server
side for a moment...what you are merging are two branches in your semantic
model...whether it happens on the client or server makes no difference
except as it relates to performance and complexity of the communications
protocol (and maybe security, but completely forget that issue for now).
The question is, do I want to move all of my code objects to the client to
perform the merge or not.  If your clients are all working from a shared
directory (with no server squeak process) then clearly, the only place you
can do a merge is on the client.

- Stephen