Can I play a .MP3 with Squeak?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Nov 21 18:57:19 UTC 2002

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 08:46  AM, Karl Ramberg wrote:

> "Richard A. O'Keefe" wrote:
>

>> My wife is interested in pipe organs, and some of the sites I've
>> come across describing particular ones have short .mp3 files for
>> download.  Can I play these in Squeak?  How?
>> (System: Squeak 3.2 on MacOS 8.6 on a G3.)

First I'll point out that open in the file list, requires support in
the file list logic so that it knows what to do
with the file. see FileList>>openAsMovie and who calls that. Also
consider what happens on drag and drop.

Now it seems to me someone (not me) should go away and look at what
support for file types then ensure
FileList and relatives (drag & drop) actually do the right thing...

Lastly ensure you're using the latest mpegPlugin

ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.2/mac/noncarbonplugins/

Earlier versions of the plugin were a bit careless in considering file
ends and the like and
would decide an mpeg file was not an mpeg file for bogus reasons.

PS please report an issues with sound drop out, there could be some
adjustments to the squeak sound layer you
might need to make on your older macintosh.
===