Encoding

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Thu Nov 21 21:08:36 UTC 2002

Markus Fritsche <Fritsche.Markus at gmx.net> asked

> How are non-ascii characters like "ä" encoded in squeak?

I think this encoding in called MacRoman, but I am not absolutely sure.

Enclosed you find a glyph table of the font "NewYork" The
&auml; is in column 9 and row 11. So it has value
(9 - 1)*16 + (11 - 1) which is 16r8A.

When you know the encoding v of a character in iso-8859-1
(Latin1), you can write
   (Character value: v) isoToSqueak
to get that character in Squeak (if it is available in the Squeak font at
all).
The expression
(Character value: v) isoToSqueak asciiValue hex
returns the Squeak encoding in a conveniently usable format.

Hope this helps
Boris