taking 3.4a to beta

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Thu Nov 21 21:19:35 UTC 2002

As far the SMLoader behavior - as agreed before, I changed the filtering
so that any package that has a category that is a prefix of the current
Smalltalk version will be displayed.

Since right now the packages are tagged as 3.4alpha, we'll lose them
all. I don't think we really care about that level of resolution, and
should move the packages to 3.2/3.4/.. style categories.

This shouldn't come up as an issue everytime we consider changing our
version status.

Ned, about the network issues you raised - I'm not sure we want to
address all of these in 3.4. I think we should assume that "stable" in
terms of a release means "significantly better than the previous final".
If Squeak's http requesting code wasn't industrial strength last time,
but the Mail related protocol classes were ugly too, I think we should
be happy if we get nicer mail this version, and let in the rest as it
becomes ready.

I think Michael's mail stuff may be applicable to 3.4, but that depends
on more testing (we don't want to find out too late the new
SocketStream/NetNameResolver code breaks Scamper, for example), and
Michael making a clean release of only what's tested.

It's possible as far as we know that Michael wants to continue to work
on the HTTP stuff, and integrate the whole thing later.

I personally think it would be better to test and integrate what we have
now - there'll be enough to do next version, too ;-)

Daniel