DVS Bootstrapping (was: Loading PackageInfo failed)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Nov 22 01:08:18 UTC 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Derek Brans wrote:

> Avi,
> I don't understand your comment about keeping your source in DVS.
> That's a given.  How is bootstrapping DVS complicated by that
> requirement?
>
> What is the hard part?  I think I'm missing something...

It's not that it's complicated by that requirement.  It's that when you
have your source arranged as a few simple .st files, there's less
motivation to be able to easily unload/upgrade an existing image.  Just
start a new one, file in a few packages, and keep going.

Thus, the existence of DVS makes the effort required to bootstrap it not
worthwhile.