Can I play a .MP3 with Squeak?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Nov 22 20:15:33 UTC 2002

Ok, I'll take credit for not having a check in the mpeg3 logic to see
if the plugin exists
first. However I throw it back as a project to someone to alter the
smalltalk code to
use SystemDictionary listBuiltinModules (listLoadedModules) which
produces arrays
of the form 'Matrix2x3Plugin 14 November 2002 (i)' to check for a
particular version
or a version and a particular date, and change the code in plugin
instance creation methods to make
a call to see if the plugin exists

Of course thinking further on this it seems we really need a call to
check for the existence of a plugin, or at
the point we fail to load the plugin mm I wonder if in <primitive:
'primitiveMPEG3EndOfAudio' module:'Mpeg3Plugin'>
one could recompile them all and do a sanity check and invoke better
feedback if the module or api name does not exist.
Tossing an exception comes to mind versus the rather meager
primtiveFail logic we have now

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 05:23  PM, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> I wrote that my attempt to play what I was *told* was a .MP3 file
> using the MPEGplayer failed.  One correspondent suggested that
> the problem was having an old MPEG plugin lying around.
>
> No, I didn't have any MPEG plugin at all.
>
> Another correspondent suggested that the problem was that I *didn't*
> have the MPEG plugin, and indeed I don't.  I would have expected that
> if you try to call something from a plugin that is not available,
> you would be told 'you need the XYZZY plugin for this'.
>
> So I searched for MPEG in the Swiki, found the MPEG plugin .sit file,
> downloaded it, unstuffed it, and tried again.  Same problem
> MPEGFile class>>primFileValidMPEG: aPath
>     <primitive: 'primitiveMPEG3CheckSig' module: Mpeg3Plugin'>
> failed.
>
> The mpeg3Plugin file is 379,499 bytes and has a creation date of
> 31 May 2002 and a version of 'Squeak MPEG Plugin V1.3
> http://www.squeak.org'.
>
> As for SqueakAmp, it flatly refused to believe that
> <root disk>:Desktop folder:
> was a valid folder name.  (It is.)  Is there any reason why SqueakAmp
> doesn't let you navigate up and down the folder structure in the usual
> way?
> Typing entire file names is not the Macintosh Way.

===