Users, Groups, Permissions for Squeak applications

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Nov 22 20:30:17 UTC 2002

On Friday 22 November 2002 12:14 pm, Derek Brans wrote:
> I would like to create the notions of users, groups and permissions
> in Squeak.
>
> 1. Have there been any previous efforts to accomplish this?
> 2. I need some design ideas.
>
> I suppose the basic syntax would be:
> User>>do: aBlock.
> Block>>requirePermission: aPermission
>
> What are some objects I would need to look at in order to make this
> happen right down to the kernel?
> Any comments, suggestions or resources?

There was at least one discussion on the list about some of this:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/786590

The Squeak browser plugin runs in a sandbox, if that's useful. There
is a SecurityPlugin.

Lex Spoon did some work in Squeak called "Islands"
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/789677
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2074

Rob Withers was doing Squeak-E (based on the E language work); I don't
know how far he got into capabilities-based security.

Les Tyrell did Oasis, which provides sandbox capabilities.
http://www.canis.uiuc.edu/~tyrrell/Oasis/overview.html

Squeak itself wasn't designed as a multi-user system, though. You
might be able to use something like MethodWrappers to do some of
this, but there still will be security holes.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com