[OT] Three-Button Mice on Linux

Brian Keefer mgomes21 at cox.net
Sat Nov 23 23:43:07 UTC 2002

Brent Vukmer wrote:

> Almost completely off-topic, but I bought a three-button mouse
> yesterday, partly for easier home Squeaking.  I brought it home and
> plugged into my box running RedHat Linux 8.0 -- and got no three-button
> love at all.    Any troubleshooting advice?  I'm trying to RTM (
> googling brought up http://koala.ilog.fr/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/ , and
> I'll try some of that page's tips).
>
> The mouse is a Microsoft Intellipoint 4.1;  it's an optical mouse.

Does yours have the 2 thumb buttons? With this they'll technically "work",
though 99% of X apps will ignore or complain about them. The remapping is
so old apps, like Netscape 4, can still see the wheel as a classic button
click (only 5 buttons in basic X protocol, no room for evolution!).

: in XF86config
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0" #Make sure your InputDevice line has the
			 #same name!
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"