Advice about plugins (silly me)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Nov 25 01:26:24 UTC 2002

So a plugin has to be in the same directory as the VM.
I knew that.

But what does that actually *mean*?

I have a folder (0) containing a whole bunch of things,
including (1) "Squeak 3.2 VM" (an alias) and a folder
folder (2) "Squeak 3.2.7Beta6.app ", which I understand
to be the MacOS X VM "application".

Since this is "the folder that contains the VM",
it's clearly the right place to put the plugins.

Nope, doesn't work.

So try putting the plugins inside (2) instead of (0).
That contains (3) "Squeak 3.2.7b6 Classic", which is
a VM, so this should be ok, right?

Nope, doesn't work.

(2) contains a folder (4) Contents which contains a
folder (5) MacOSClassic which contains (6) Squeak 3.2.7b6.
But that CLEARLY can't be right, because how would the
MacOS X version of the application know to look _there_?

But that _is_ the right place.

So what I needed was
    {WhatLooksLikeTheVMfolder}:Squeak 3.2.7Beta6.app:Contents:MacOSClassic:

I must say that this was NOT obvious to me at all.

Now that I've got the plugin in the right place, it plays the file,
BUT it's a bit jerky.  (About four painful breaks in about 15 seconds.)
(266 MHz PowerPC G3, with an audio card, whatever that is.)