[ANN] Seaside 2.04

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Nov 26 00:08:01 UTC 2002

I've just posted Seaside 2.04 to SqueakMap and to
http://beta4.com/seaside2 .

Changes since 2.03 include:

- There is now support for storing session keys in cookies (with fallback
to URL rewriting if cookies are disabled)

- Expired sessions didn't used to get garbage collected properly; that's
fixed now.

- We've been experimenting with using CSS for layout; many of the examples
and tools now use divs instead of tables.  This also means the addition of
handy CSS methods to the HtmlRenderer, eg
  html divClass: 'navbar' do: [ ... ]

- The experimental CompoundView classes from the previous release have
been deprecated, and a lot of their functionality has been moved into
HtmlRenderer.  The renderer/view split was causing too much duplication
and confusion, views are now only used for complex multi-element widgets.

- There's some prelimary support for controlling the URL used for
individual pages.  WASession>>nextKey: will let you manually choose the
"action key" url segment for the next request, overriding the serial
number that's normally used.  No examples of this yet, but combined with
cookies it could allow decent bookmarkability.