A big teacher wish

Alejandro F. Reimondo aleReimondo at smalltalking.net
Tue Nov 26 22:14:05 UTC 2002

Hi

I am not a teacher, but... I would love to rename:
    instanceVariables ---> parts (of an instance)
    classVariables    ---> parts (of the class)
    sharedVariables ---> shared objects

Because they are not "variables", they are
 only "names" of well known objects.
I think they are not variables, because the named
 object is replaced entirely by other (like a focus change)
 and do not change "in-memory" as occurs in memory
 dependent languages (assignment is a name change,
 not a variable overwrite... it is a very important thing
 to teach).

Variables refer to a position, an area that can change contents.
So, you can associate a type/size to a variable.
Objects does not know about their "material" support,
 they only know another named objects and names
 are used to focus during message send.

A class definition message can be specified as:

Morph
    subclass: #MyMorph
     parts: ' myTarget lastTime '
     share: ' CloseBoxImage '
     pools: ' Colors '
     category: 'Morphic-Samples'!

MyMorph class parts: ' defaultInstance '!

or...

Morph
    subclass: #MyMorph
    has: ' myTarget lastTime '
    share: ' CloseBoxImage '
    knows: ' Colors '
    category: 'Morphic-Samples'!

MyMorph class parts: ' defaultInstance '!

We have part names (aka internal collaborator),
 and global names in a rich set of global scopes
 (local context names, instance parts names,
 class-scope shared names, global names,
  pool names, outerScope names [in foreign
  namespace], ... ).
Always names, only names

cheers,
Ale.