Unix 3.2-6 VM

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Wed Nov 27 15:14:13 UTC 2002

Folks,

The Unix 3.2-6 VM is in the usual place.

This release consolidates the VM support required by Croquet (which is
missing in 3.2) and that required by several 3.2 plugins (that are missing
in Croquet: PTYPlugin, RePlugin, and various fixes to AsyncFilePlugin
needed to support ptys).  This VM should run any 3.2, 3.4 or Croquet image
just fine.

Note that it is still in the "unstable" section of the downloads page,
although it has already lost the "devel" suffix.  (The reason being that I
haven't yet got round to building it on anything other than Intel.  I'm a
little preoccupied with fixing PPC bugs in libffi-2 and porting it to the
mach-o ABI [read: Darwin].  Once this is done I'll build PPC binaries,
promote 3.2-6 to stable and put the first release of 3.3-1devel [<wink> ;]
in the unstable section.  In the meantime I figure it can't hurt to have
Intel people hammer on it a little. ;)

If you have problems with it, e-mail me.  Thanks.

Release notes appended.

Enjoy!

Ian

Major changes since 3.2-5:

VM:

  New VM sources generated (for Croquet compatibility).  The core is
  now generated out of a 3.4a-5125 image and runs Croquet fine on the
  build machine.

  Various small changes in several places for Darwin compatibility.

  The `-secure' option has been removed.

Plugins:

  Updated OpenGL code for B3DAcceleratorPlugin.  _Many_ thanks to Bert
  Freudenberg for this.

  OSProcessPlugin updated to 3.0.2.

Build:

  Updated to autoconf-2.54.

  Problems with libGLs that depend on libpthread should be fixed.

  Link errors in sqUnixMozilla on BSD should no longer occur.

  Removed the majority of the ridiculous dependencies that were being
  generated automatically in the RPM.

  Should build out-of-the-box on Darwin, either headless or with X11
  support (tested with XDarwin 4.2.1.1 on darwin6.2).  NOTE: there are
  still bugs in autoconf (more precisely, in aclocal and libtool)
  concerning darwin.  If you rebuild the configure script (by running
  `autoconf' or `make' in the config dir) then the resulting configure
  script may not work (the build will fail when trying to create
  shared libs for external plugins).  If you are affected by this then
  I can send you my patched versions of ltcf-c.sh and aclocal.m4.  You
  have been warned!