70 packages on SqueakMap!

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sat Nov 30 01:42:15 UTC 2002

On Friday, November 29, 2002, at 11:55 AM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
>> Julian Fitzell <julian at beta4.com> wrote:
>>> Or just get dependencies working and then the package can depend on
>>> the SARInstaller, and the SARInstaller will get installed
>>> automatically, first.
>> Working on it! Did a whole lot of work yesterday evening etc. But...
>> This is actually *not* a dependency. SqueakMap works fine without
>> SARInstaller. :-)
>
> I didn't say SqueakMap depended on SARInstaller.  I meant that packages
> that are packaged as SARs depend on SARInstaller.  So when you try to
> install a SAR package and don't have SARInstaller, it will get
> installed first since it is a dependency.

Right, that might be a good way to handle it once the dependency stuff
is in place.

However, I'm guessing it will be a while before the dependency stuff is
working, so in the meantime, I agree that it would be good to simply
install the SARInstaller as part of the SqueakMap install.  (Which I
guess would be done with a load script as Goran described.)

There are a number of packages on SqueakMap now which expect SAR to be
available, such as Roel's, and people are starting to submit [BUG]
reports about this problem (see Ross Boylan's message), so perhaps Goran
will be able to add this soon. :-)

- Doug Way