[BUG]3.4-5125 FileDirectory>exists faulty?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Nov 30 19:48:26 UTC 2002

I've just discovered a nasty side effect of the recent change to
Filedirectory>exists (update 5114). The immediate effect is that is
stops VMMakerTool from working on Acorn, but I can't see how it works
properly at all.

Given the latest CVS platform sources I have (a few days old) it looks
to me that unix, win32 & Acorn all carefully handle _not_ returning an
entry for the directory entry in prim dir_Lookup(). I can't tell about
Mac since the way it works is so foreign to me.

The new update seems to rely on the prim actually returning an entry
with quite specific contents. I'm puzzled; obviously I could change the
Acorn VM but
a) it would break backwards compatability (big deal eh? nobody uses
Acorn Squeak you think? Wrongo, dude, wrongo)
b) since it looks like it is wrong on win32/unix, why change to match
wrongness?

I wonder when we will actually get a filename system that works
cleanly... sigh.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Fac ut vivas. = Get a life.