SqueakOS

Daniel Joyce daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net
Thu Oct 3 04:24:53 UTC 2002

> At Interval Research we made a realtime OS out of Squeak. Seemed
> promising, which of course is why it was canned in favour of WinCE. A
> just about readable copy of my OOPSLA 99 paper on the system is at
> http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/RTOSinSmalltalk.html
>
> tim

And of course, this wonderful code is buried somewhere to never be used
again. The wonders of propietary closed source software. Interval has
donated some things, but if they didn't want to use a RTOS Squeak, what
makes them think someone else ever will? ( Why hold on to dead project
code? No one is gonna buy it! Set it free! ).

RTOS Squeak now moulders on a musty tape somewhere with NEWS and other
innovative software that people could learn from... Heck, they managed
to talk SUN into releasing SELF, and SUN is still around... <:)

This is something the squeak community could really use ( along with a
robust clean widget set in the image, last time I looked, Prefab is not
included, and the morphic widgets are all half-implemented or
excessively hairy). This would go a long ways to help making Squeak
very very very very useful for more than just one-off demos and
presentation eye-candy. I play with Squeak alot, but I bang my head
against it sometime.

Will we ever see the light of this stuff from Interval? Could we buy it?
I mean, the users of Blender bought the source code out, and open
sourced it. Could we do the same? Is there a price?

I'll put $250 where my mouth is on this issue.

-Daniel