About "A Taste of Smalltalk"

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Oct 4 13:12:27 UTC 2002

On Friday 04 October 2002 05:20 am, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Hi archeologist and Smalltalk oldies freaks
>
> We with alex started to scan the book "A Taste of Smalltalk"
> (thanks Ted for the rights to do that).
> However, it takes me around 3 min per pages, so I would like to
> know if somebody want to
> do some postprocessing of the files to see if  we can obtain a pdfs
> and at which quality.

You might want to save the scans as PNG files, since they're line art.

Though the JPGs look good.

I converted page 17 into a PDF; you can see the result at
ftp://microship.com/bikenomad/t017.pdf .

Here's what I did:

go to Gimp and crop the JPG
print PS to a file
run ps2pdf on that file

Did you want to try to OCR them? That would reduce the size of the
PDFs but would require lots more manual work to get the fonts right,
etc.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com