About "A Taste of Smalltalk"

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sat Oct 5 07:50:08 UTC 2002

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Russell Penney wrote:

> Then turn it into a PDF, much smaller than bitmaps.

If you're going to PDF it, no need for the manual typing routine.  Adobe
Acrobat has a OCR facility that should be mostly fine for typeface stuff
like this, manual labor would be better put into proof reading the final
PDF.  I have Acrobat 5 at my work machine, so as soon as all the JPEGs are
done, I could convert it to a PDF.  One caveat though- we switched to
Acrobat 5 from 3, and the OCRing facilities got really crappy in Acro 5.
I've not been able to get 3 and 5 to co exist, but when I get the chance,
I could install Acro 3 on a machine with no Acrobat.

Just let me know when they're all done, and try to rotate them so they're
level, crop out page-outlines- makes the OCR go better and the final PDF
look a lot nicer.

Regards,
Aaron
(aspiring computational ecologist *and* library computer work team student
lackey)

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "life, probably the biggest word i've ever said, that says a lot,
  because there's a whole lot of words inside my head.." :: atmosphere