Squeak and parallel computation

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Tue Oct 8 00:09:34 UTC 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> Actually that's a little pessimistic.  If you're running on Unix with the
> display and VM on the same machine then if your VM runs on one processor
> and your X server on another then you should see an improvement for
> graphics-bound code.

But only a little though? It's not like what Squeak is doing on the X side
is very proc-intensive- it's just displaying a bitmap basically, no?
Almost everything about/in Squeak is stuck in the image, done in Smalltalk
or Slang/C prims.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "life, probably the biggest word i've ever said, that says a lot,
  because there's a whole lot of words inside my head.." :: atmosphere