Infinity?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Oct 10 01:49:34 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, at 05:15  PM, Andrew Henrick wrote:

> Q3.  How can I detect an underflow/overflow in the system.  This may
> seem like an odd question, but it comes in reference to some code that
> I found in "Object-Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods" by
> Besset.  He was working in Visual Age, so his exception handling is
> different, but the idea is to cause an overflow by repetitive
> multipilication:

Mmm I recall but only vaguely that in VisualWorks there was a changeset
to introduce a 'really large' number, and a 'really small' number.
(Can't remember if +/- infinity came with that too).

This was handy for those calculations were you wanted to work with
those concepts.

Take a look on the web for 'double dispatch' and smalltalk and remember
it's object (message send +) object
which leads to all sorts of interesting decisions (at a cost) you can
do for the + message.

Mmm I wonder if someone has a changeset that considers degree of error
in calculations handy.

===