Clipping and scrolling

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 11 04:51:59 UTC 2002

The width is set like that, I think, so that list items will always be at
least as wide as their list. This simplifies some things like item click
processing and drawing the highlights. I suppose when we start using
displays > 9999 pixels wide we'll have to change it!

Since Lists have only vertical scrollbars, the width of items is never
queried. If you wanted horizonal scrolling too, this would have to be
changed.

So it doesn't seem to hurt anything that I can see.

One thing I'll point out is the call to Morph>>bounds from
PluggableListMorph>>list:. This boils down to separate calls to position:
and extent:. Each of those sends layoutChanged:. Once ought to be enough.
Since bounds: is called a lot, it might be worth getting that down to one
call. I'm not sure how expensive each layoutChanged is.

Eddie