is Missing multiple inheritance in sqeak a drawback ?

Jason Rogers jacaetevha at fast-mail.org
Fri Oct 11 19:41:21 UTC 2002

IMHO, inheritance is quickly becoming _near_ to obsolete (not totally
obsolete, just near to it).  For years it was the rage, but it seems to
me that good OO design really should emphasize the HAS-A relationship,
not the IS-A.

I have seen a lot of systems with an overabundance of inheritance, and
all it has done is make the system harder to understand and maintain,
and the bugs harder to track down.  When I see a system that uses MI or
a great deal of inheritance in general, it speaks to me of a refactoring
opportunity.  (In fact, I can't remember the last time that I saw a good
use of MI.)  When those C++ guys bring it up, I would question them on
their overall design goals.  MI is really just an escape route.

However, what I do like is the concept of an interface -- a promise to
answer certain questions.  If I look at myself as an object in an OO
system, I would see a Person who is a Father, a Husband, an Employee, a
Son, etc.  That may speak of MI.  But, I rather like to look at it as 'I
answer certain questions per the role I am currently playing'.  This is
accomplished through the contracts of the interfaces, and perhaps (in
implementation) as adaptors on Person.

Sorry for spouting so much.

=jason
[:question | ^One]