newbie question about Scamper and firewall proxy

David Faught dave_faught at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 14 17:45:32 UTC 2002

Hi, I am new to Squeak but not to general programming.
 I am trying to do some of the tutorials using Scamper
within Squeak 3.2, but can't get through our firewall.
 I just get, for example, the message:

"error occured retrieving
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak: Server
minnow.cc.gatech.edu is not responding"

When normally using Internet Explorer, the firewall
proxy server is set up in the Internet Options, and
when I then request a page that requires Internet
access, I get prompted for a userid and password to
authenticate to the firewall.

In Squeak, I see some code in the HTTP protocol that
looks like it is set up to use such a proxy, and there
is code somewhere (in Scamper I think?) that looks
like it automatically requests a userid/password when
a particular HTTP status code is received, but somehow
I never get prompted for the firewall.  Scamper just
goes directly to the message above.

Is there something easy that I am missing here?  How
can I make this work?