Squeak Starter

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Oct 16 12:32:03 UTC 2002

Hi all!

(AsbestSuit new) wear

Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Hi henrik
>
> Just to refresh some memories here.
> We tried to help if you remember. Alex started to build some tools for
> modules.

There have been a several addons/fixes etc made by several people, but
we haven't integrated them yet AFAIK.
Alex did his stuff, Andreas, Daniel and more have done a lot too.
I still think that we can pull this off - we just need to "do it". The
problem has probably more to do with people trying to make money to pay
the rent etc.

> Now the question how it is possible that 4 smart guys cannot understand
> the modules system to the
> point that they can explain it. I think that this was the reason of the
> failure of the modules.

1. No - I don't agree, Modules isn't that hard to understand. But you
need to TRY.

I don't claim to understand all of it in depth but at least enough to
grasp it. I mean, hey - essentially (cutting away some small details):
a) a Module is a bunch of classes (globals) and you need to explicitly
"import" the other Modules that you use in your Module. Very similar to
import/include in all the {}-languages.
b) The Modules are arranged in a global namespace hierarchy. Very
similar to Java.
c) The only thing remotely hard to understand here is IMHO DeltaModules
and they are more or less like a ChangeSet that *only* affects one given
Module. Another way of saying this is that a DeltaModule D specifies the
difference (like a patch-file) that needs to be applied to a Module A
version 1.0 to turn it into version 1.1.

Ok, what was hard about this? Yes, I am being a bit pushy here because
all this talk about Modules being so hard is getting on my nerves. Don't
feel offended - nothing personal.

2. Modules has NOT failed. It's in 3.3 *alpha* which means that it isn't
ready for use yet. We just need to finish it.

If you just take a look at the code Henrik wrote and which especially
Daniel and Andreas (if I am not mistaken) has hacked a bit further on -
you will see that a lot of it works very good.

regards, Göran